Monday, June 16, 2008

Joining the ranks of moms no longer in denial

So....I finally broke down.....and not quite in tears, yet. We purchased our first car that labels us now in parenthood with such a stigma every time I look in the garage I cringe. Yes, its not a hybrid (although the mpg would be great)....its a.....MINIVAN~!!!!!

The reason is simple, it was too damn practical. And well being dutch and cheap it was the best route to go. We were at the end of the lease on the Pacifica and really loved the car, but to buy it out of the lease was going to cost us more then what it was worth. They discontinued making the Pacifica so it plummeted the value....I could buy one $4k less then what I could buy mine from the lease...it was a "no duh" factor.

We started looking at the route of another discontinued vehicle which we liked, the Buick Rendevous....but it was going the same route that we were actually doing already. So, begrudgingly, I started secretly searching for a mini van.....with my eyes rolling. Well......the deed is done and the searching is over and my garage is filled with a silver blue Dodge Grand Caravan SXT.....with the automatic doors and tons of storage....Jacob loves it...me, well its a car and I'm not in love. I really loathe the color....too much blue, too much peace and love associated with it but I will not complain...all the time.

After driving home and checking the mpg, it made sense. We were on windy roads most of the times intervened with lots of hills....and it avg. 25 mpg. Unheard of with the Pacifica, and my pocket is thanking me. The Pacifica is now sitting in our driveway, empty, looking flashy with its Inferno Red and 19inch rims (yes, that would have cost a mortgage payment or more to replace them next year)....empty. I guess all things go in cycles so I will digress and accept my new title.

Yes, I am still grappling with it but Mark seems fine with it, of course he won't be driving it much, just me, the soccer mom.

1 comment: